Saturday 13 February 2016

Thing 12 - Attending Conferences

 
   I attended the WRSLAI  Annual Seminar 2014/ GMIT Centre  for Creative Arts and Media, Galway/ Monday 23rd of June 2014.
   As part of our HR/ Training Unit requirements I completed a Request for attendance at training form. This form looks for the Course title, Aims, Trainer/ Training company details, Location, Date(s) of course, Cost and Financial code course will be charged to.

The Seminar consisted of the following presentations:
   - How to use surveys to identify and respond to user needs
   - The Shared service work-force planning group for public libraries
   - CUAL(Connaught-Ulster Alliance) - An introduction to the new GMIT, IT Sligo & Letterkenny IT Institutional Repository
   - Having an impact from Day One: Student Advisors in the library helping first year students adapt
   - New Professionals Day Ireland: pathways to the profession
   - Cappamore Library and Art studio, an introduction
   - Associate and Fellowship progression in the Library Association of Ireland
   - 23 Things for Libraries, getting to grips with Web 2.0
   - Linkedin for Librarians


   I was a committee member of the WRSLAI and as a result I knew the people organising the Conference/ Seminar. I encouraged a library friend from a neighbouring authority to attend also. I had met some of the delegates in the past and I recognised other faces and names. Some people I had never met. A hint for meeting people you don't know: approach a friendly-looking delegate and introduce yourself! It helped that most people worked as Librarians/ library staff and many of them in the Public library sector. We had alot in common already.
   I have read the recommended articles for Thing 12/ Tips for Networking. Here are some ideas:
www.careerealism.com
- be fearless, introduce yourself, ask the other what they do then listen
- be well read inc.current affairs and business trends, it helps in opening a conversation
- initiate a call-to-action and follow-up contact in 24 hours or soon after
- if conversation is not working, release the other
www.theguardian.com - David Lurie
 - at a networking event set yourself a goal eg.distribute or collect 20 business cards

   I took notes at the Seminar using pen and paper, I usually do this. I find taking notes useful for staying focused and this means I am more likely to remember the content. I am open to recording notes on a device eg.a tablet and have seen people do this. I still have a sense for each of the Presentations/ Speakers from the Seminar. Reading the notes I am reminded of the content. The Seminar was interesting and varied. I left that day feeling energised, I remember that!  There was a similar feeling when I attended the WRSLAI Annual Seminar 2015 in Gort Co.Galway: The Information Professional - Embracing new roles with confidence. The programme for this seminar is outlined in the R23 notes/ Thing 12.
   After a Seminar I rarely look at my notes. Writing a blogpost on the Seminar is a way to record and summarise the Seminar for me and to share it with others who may not have attended. Writing a blogpost is something I would like to do after future Seminars.

No comments:

Post a Comment