Sunday 21 February 2016

Thing 13 - Professional Organisations

   I have been a member of the LAI  on and off for about 10 years.
   CPD is about learning and developing in my role as Librarian. This helps me be motivated and it is one of the main benefits I see for being part of the LAI. CPD is done through training courses and being awarded the ALAI or FLAI.  
   As an LAI member I am on the e-mailing list and this means being informed about training courses and library events inc. Conferences/ Seminars. Examples of LAI events I have attended are the Annual WRSLAI Seminar, the Public library Conference, Children's literature training.
   The ALAI and FLAI are awards which recognise CPD activities. I am glad these are available, they are goals to aim for. Though these awards have been available for many years I have not pursued them. I do not know many library staff who have gained the awards and I reckon they are not publicised widely. When I am ready I may explore the award process and aim for it. If I find it worthwhile great and if I want a further challenge I would explore CPD activities from another Professional Organisation.
  I am a committee member of the WRSLAI. I welcome the opportunity to develop my skills outside the workplace. These skills include project management, minute taking, writing an annual report, as listed in Thing 13/ Professional Organisations. Though I have been a committee member for the past 2 years I have helped out and made suggestions from the fringes. One reason  I have not been more involved is location. Meetings are held in Galway, 1 - 1 and a half hours drive away. It has not been practical to make meetings regularly. Other committee members are based in Galway. As a committee we tried a virtual meet-up once though the success was limited. We may have more luck in the future, especially after R23! Also my work can get busy and I am ok to help from the fringes. When I am ready to be more involved as a committee member then I would try to make it happen.
     I enjoy meeting and networking with others in the same profession. I agree that being part of a Professional organisation is being part of a community of like-minded professionals.
   CPD activities, contributing to a Professional organisation through a committee and networking are hopefully good for my any potential career moves in the future - watch this space!
   At the 2015 WRSLAI Seminar one speaker gave a talk on the chartership process with CILIP. I was interested in the talk and the process. I have looked up the CILIP website and I reckon they have alot to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment